Rupert, our construction mentor, recommended we use wildflower turf over the Seeded Concrete blocks to represent what it would like at its fullest and wildest stage.
We firstly nailed capillary matting on t o hold moisture for the verticle turf to retain moisture.
We ordered more turf than we needed so that we could choose the best bits with the prospect for most growth.
Rather than allow the turf to grow flat, we got it nailed onto the blocks as soon as possible so that the flowers could grow and follow the direction of the sun to make it look more realistic.
As our client brief specifically said 3 pillars and the different stages of growth we had to keep all the elements. We mixed up which pillar we thought would represent each stage, so that the pillar with the most real growth had the ‘windows’ cut in to show the judges and the public the ‘real’ product underneath.
We’ve learnt that you should never ever be specific on your brief!!